Friday, February 19, 2010

Body parts


In my 8+ years in the record business, never did I once ask anyone to autograph any part of my body. Not after lunch with Pete Townshend. Not after late night drinks with Keith Emerson. Not even after bowling with Rod Stewart. So how is it that I asked a local writer/author to autograph my hand?

My friend Tracy invited me to her Book Club last night to discuss "The Paris of Appalachia" and meet the author; Brian O'Neill. So off to Aspinwall I went. Now, I know what you’re thinking if you’re from the South Hills: “You went all the way to Aspinwall?” Yes I did! And it’s lovely!

Surrounded by copious amounts of good food, cold drinks and men and women (yes, a co-ed Book Club evening), Brian regaled us with stories from and about the book. Funnier in person than in his columns, Brian had us laughing with tales of book distribution, bar conversations and more. He is witty, self deprecating and – no surprise – a natural storyteller.

About the book: It was released last fall after four years. Among the reviews, the Pittsburgh City Paper says “…reading Paris is like talking with the funny, knowledgeable guy on the next barstool. The conversation might wander a bit, but if you're like me (or like O'Neill, judging from his book), that's a great way spend an afternoon.


Paris is on sale at Bradley's Books and Aspinwall Books, and O'Neill hopes to handle orders through his Web site (www.parisofappalachia.com) soon. For now, he says, he's using an unusual distribution system: ‘I'm pretty confident this will be the only book available both on Amazon and at Gus' ice-ball stand.’”

Now about the autographed body part: The evening was winding down, people were milling about drinking and talking. I began to think about my little blog (and its devoted 4 followers) and thought this would make a perfect entry. But wanting to spice things up, I thought perhaps a photo will do – but of what? It hit me while watching Brian autograph books: He could autograph my hand and I’d take a photo and post it. Great plan. One hitch. How do you photograph your own hand when your arm isn’t long enough?! A quick, late night phone call to my friend Mo (who just happens to be a freelance photographer) and she agreed to take the photo and email it to me. Thanks Mo!

Read the book. I’ll know you’ll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment